PDA

View Full Version : Jack v. Mitch Rapp

beowulf
10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
I usually hate these kind of threads, but I am a huge Vince Flynn fan. I often wonder who is the more resourceful and skilled hero.

Anyone else a VF fan?

webby
10-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I usually hate these kind of threads, but I am a huge Vince Flynn fan. I often wonder who is the more resourceful and skilled hero.

Anyone else a VF fan?

Yes, I like Vince Flynn. I like that his books are very thick but the story never drags. A similar author I also like is Nelson DeMille.

As for who is more resourceful - I'd go with Jack because I can't imagine Mitch Rapp pulling some of the stunts Jack has pulled over the years. ;)

beowulf
10-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Yes, I like Vince Flynn. I like that his books are very thick but the story never drags. A similar author I also like is Nelson DeMille.

As for who is more resourceful - I'd go with Jack because I can't imagine Mitch Rapp pulling some of the stunts Jack has pulled over the years. ;)

I'll have to check DeMille out, Brad Thor is good too.

webby
10-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Haven't read any Brad Thor - I'll take a look though. Thanks.

Auskar
10-11-2007, 07:57 PM
I've never read a Vince Flynn novel. What makes Mitch Rapp similar to Repairman Jack?

webby
10-11-2007, 10:58 PM
I've never read a Vince Flynn novel. What makes Mitch Rapp similar to Repairman Jack?

They really aren't all that similar, other than both being guys who get the job done and do it according to their own rules.

You ought to give Vince Flynn a try, Auskar. I think you'd like the Mitch Rapp character a lot - he fits your favorite character type of the "lone hero" with lots of action and suspense. Oh yeah, and there's not even a smidgen of the supernatural in Flynn's books. ;)

beowulf
10-12-2007, 12:52 AM
If you like the Jack Bauer character, you will love Vince Flynn's main character - Mitch Rapp. He's a bad ass, CIA Assassin who doesn't take crap form anyone, even the people he works for. The stories combine the politics and intrigue of Clancy with high paced action and faster gratification.

Auskar
10-12-2007, 05:50 AM
You ought to give Vince Flynn a try, Auskar. I think you'd like the Mitch Rapp character a lot - he fits your favorite character type of the "lone hero" with lots of action and suspense. Oh yeah, and there's not even a smidgen of the supernatural in Flynn's books. ;)
You made me laugh. I'll certainly give it a shot. Which one comes first?

beowulf
10-14-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd suggest reading "Memorial Day" first, that is the first appearance of Mitch Rapp, but "Term Limits" was his first book in this series and while Mitch Rapp is not in it, it does have other characters that will appear later in the series.

law dawg
10-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Barry Eisler's John Rain (assassin fixer) and Lee Child's Jack Reacher (kind of fixer, in a way) also come to mind.

In fact, there used to be a legendary thread on who would win between the two (Rain vs. Reacher) that even got the author's to wade in.....:)

Lisa
10-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Mitch Rapp is a pansy ass, unimaginative, poorly written shadow of Jack.

No offense. ;)

Maggers
10-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Mitch Rapp is a pansy ass, unimaginative, poorly written shadow of Jack.

No offense. ;)

Lisa, tell us what you really think. This time, don't hold back. :D

law dawg
10-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Lisa, tell us what you really think. This time, don't hold back. :D
She has got to stop sugarcoating things.

It can be unhealthy.

Auskar
10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Barry Eisler's John Rain (assassin fixer) and Lee Child's Jack Reacher (kind of fixer, in a way) also come to mind. In fact, there used to be a legendary thread on who would win between the two (Rain vs. Reacher) that even got the author's to wade in.....:)
Read all those. Who would win between Jack Reacher and John Rain? John Rain is sneakier, so if it was something planned out beforehand, I would say Rain. If it was something that happened in the immediate world, the here and now, then I would say Jack Reacher.

I'm always right.

But Joe Pike would kick both their asses.

webby
10-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Read all those. Who would win between Jack Reacher and John Rain? John Rain is sneakier, so if it was something planned out beforehand, I would say Rain. If it was something that happened in the immediate world, the here and now, then I would say Jack Reacher.

I'm always right.

But Joe Pike would kick both their asses.

You have a point there.

But if Pike wasn't available, Windsor Horne Lockwood III could do it. Win scares everybody. ;)